Who can enjoy bonding times outdoor with family members and friends if there are little bloodsuckers swarming everywhere and just biting everyone? What's more is that the indoors are not always safe as well. Mosquitoes are small enough to easily get inside your house through small holes or even when you open the door or window. Just like bed bug problems, mosquitoes can be annoying little biters.
It's important that we keep ourselves free from these vampires as we all know that they may be carriers of various viruses and parasites that cause of diseases. One of the most prominent here in the Philippines is dengue fever. You see almost nightly in the news how fatal it can get. Its ability to spread is massive because as an infected mosquito transfers the virus to a victim, the next mosquito that bites said victim will now then carry the virus as well and so the cycle goes. This is why it is important to get rid of mosquitoes.
According to University of Kentucky, the most effective way to reduce the number of mosquitoes around homes and neighborhoods is to find and eliminate their breeding sites – standing water.
The study from University of Kentucky stated that in order to reduce their breeding sites, you should:
- Dispose old tires, buckets, aluminum cans, plastic sheeting or other refuse that can hold water will reduce their breeding sites.
- Empty accumulated water from trash cans, boats, wheel barrows, pet dishes, and flower pot bottoms. If possible, turn these items over when they are not in use.
- Clean debris from rain gutters and unclog obstructed downspouts. Clogged rain gutters are one of the most overlooked breeding sites for mosquitoes around homes.
- Remove any standing water on flat roofs or around structures. Repair leaking faucets and air conditioners that produce puddles for several days.
- Change water in bird baths and wading pools at least once a week and keep swimming pools cleaned and chlorinated
- Fill or drain ditches and swampy areas, and other soil depressions and remove, drain, or fill tree holes and stumps with mortar or sealant to prevent accumulation of water.
- Eliminate standing water and seepage around animal watering troughs, cisterns, and septic tanks. Be sure that cistern screens are intact and that access covers fit tightly.
- Irrigate lawns and gardens carefully to prevent water from standing for several days.
However, according to the university's study, there isn't really an easy way to get rid of these bloodsuckers. Applying insect repellent is helpful, but this can't hold 24 hours. This is the reason why, in these cases, calling the experts is the best solution to keep you and your family safe.
The combination of several chemical application techniques and the institution of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) methods are keys to a sustained mosquito management. But we must also understand that mosquitoes can travel over a kilometer radius, so the most ideal pest management solution must cover entire villages or communities.
As such, cooperation with your neighbors will be of great help. PIXA Company designs and implements village-wide vector management programs that does not only rely on chemical control methods alone. Calling the experts before disease levels spiral is always the best step in protecting ourselves from these tiny vampires.